Re: bazel-built binaries vs Debian packages

Hi David,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022, 08:12 David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:

So, what should I do? I've asked on the bazel list and received very little interest (https://groups.google.com/g/bazel-discuss/c/gj4KGcuVyoc?pli=1). As bazel takeup increases I expect this to be a growing problem, so it's not just me. Has anyone thought of this?

Yes, I've actually thought quite a bit about this. :)

Debian packaging is Phase 3 of the Debian Bazel Team work plan.[1] Sadly, we've lost a lot of momentum due to some frustrating issues outside our control. I had originally hoped to be implementing that functionality this year. As things stand, I really can't guess when that might happen.

There is currently rudimentary and hacky support for what you're asking about. See the bazel-bootstrap package for an example. We've had excellent support from Bazel upstream in these efforts and newer versions of Bazel should have even better functionality in place to allow building in The Debian Way.

Sadly, I haven't had the bandwidth or emotional reserves to deal with the challenges we've faced. Perhaps my situation will improve in the future or perhaps more DDs will take an active interest in our efforts. I sincerely hope that one of those takes place because I have invested a LOT of time and energy into this project and I care very deeply about it.

-Olek

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/bazel-team/meta/-/wikis/Workplan-Part-3