Re: Interested in Debian Bazel efforts

Hi Jesse,

Just want to check if you or anyone else is still interested in working on packaging Bazel 4.x, and if there is anything we could help from the Bazel team!

Cheers,
Yun

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Jesse Chan <jc@linux.com> wrote:
Hi Yun,

> 3.5.1 isn't really actively maintained. But you are right, we are
> switching to LTS release starting from 4.0.0. Bazel will keep
> developing at HEAD and have rolling release (eg. 5.0.0-pre.20200315).
> The LTS version will cherry pick important features, bug fixes, etc
> that are backwards compatible.
> 4.1.0 is currently being prepared at
> https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/13099
> <https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/13099>
I see.
> I think for every LTS release, we can package Bazel as a separate
> package, bazel-<major version number>, and bazel-bootstrap can keep
> track of the latest LTS version (if we want to keep it).
Good idea. Though, IMO, to maintain multiple versions, we need a bigger
team. To allow coexistence, we also have to figure out a way to deal
with "bazel" and other shared stuff, similar to python/python2/python3
troubles.
> The next step is to package the bazel-4 package. I have a script
> <https://github.com/meteorcloudy/bazel/blob/debian-3.4.0-build-with-bazel/debian/build.sh>that
> was previously shared with Olek, which builds Bazel with Bazel without
> internet access. Hope it could help.
> I still need to look into how we can build and package java_tools so
> that users can use Bazel to build java projects for Debian, (sorry for
> the delay, Olek).

Thanks. I will take a look.

Jesse.