Re: Interested in Debian Bazel efforts

Hi Jesse,

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 11:28 PM jc@linux.com <jc@linux.com> wrote:
Hi Bazel team members,

I am Jesse. I use Bazel a lot in my projects and projects I contribute to. [1]

Great! It's a nice build system.

Unfortunately, Bazel is not available in Debian repository yet. I am interested in the current efforts, and I would like to see if I can help.

I have some good news for you. The bootstrap variant, which we appropriately call bazel-bootstrap [2][3], should be released with bullseye in the near future (and with Ubuntu later this month).

To be honest, I am still new in Debian devel, but I am willing to learn.

[1]: https://github.com/jesec

We'd love to have you help and I'm certainly happy to mentor and/or sponsor any Bazel-related work you want to do in Debian. Please feel free to subscribe to our discussion mailing list (this one) [4], our administrative mailing list on Launchpad [5], and our Salsa VCS group [6]. We are currently working on improving support for Bazel within Debian [7] to eventually enable (simple) Bazel-based package builds.

-Olek

[2] https://packages.debian.org/source/bullseye/bazel-bootstrap
[3] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bazel-bootstrap
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-bazel/