Re: Podman

Hey Tilo,

Tilo Werner [2022-01-13  2:19 +0100]:
> Is there any plan or option to backport podman 3.4 to Bullseye?

Reinhard and I haven't talked about it so far.

I'd generally be open to that, and it makes sense, but the current version
bumped a lot of build dependencies which are not satisfied in stable:

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies:
  golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu-dev (>> 5.1)
  golang-github-containers-buildah-dev (>= 1.23.1)
  golang-github-containers-common-dev (>= 0.44.4)
  golang-github-containers-image-dev (>= 5.16)
  golang-github-containers-storage-dev (>= 1.36)
  golang-github-dtylman-scp-dev
  golang-github-vbauerster-mpb-dev (>= 6)

Of those, golang-github-dtylman-scp-dev is not even in bullseye yet (i.e. it
would be a NEW package), and the others are too old.

I wouldn't personally mind backporting these -- they are just build
dependencies, thus pose no runtime risk. However, some of them (at least
golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu-dev) are non-trivial to backport by
themselves. I didn't go through the full tree yet.

This would put some churn on the backports reviewers (for them, *all* of the
above packages count as NEW, as they have never been backported so far). Would
that be acceptable? Is there some prior art with backporting Go dev build-deps?

Thanks,

Martin