How is 5.x kernel backported when we don't have gcc11 in Stable?

I was trying to backport the 5.18 kernel as an exercise, but I noticed that it requires gcc11 to compile it and Bullseye only has gcc10.

So how is the 5.18 kernel backported - I assume its not simply compiled on a Testing box, as that wouldn't be a backport (might as well just install the testing package!)

The whole backports process seems poorly documented - with references to various options e.g. pbuilder, cowbuilder, sbuild, deboostrap, schroot, all the way down to a simple dpkg-buildpackage/debuild....

Is there a preferred/official method?

Thanks.

--
Simon John