Re: Podman

Hello all again,

Martin Pitt [2022-01-14 11:46 +0100]:
> I'd generally be open to that, and it makes sense, but the current version
> bumped a lot of build dependencies which are not satisfied in stable:
>
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies:
>   golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu-dev (>> 5.1)
>   golang-github-containers-buildah-dev (>= 1.23.1)
>   golang-github-containers-common-dev (>= 0.44.4)
>   golang-github-containers-image-dev (>= 5.16)
>   golang-github-containers-storage-dev (>= 1.36)
>   golang-github-dtylman-scp-dev
>   golang-github-vbauerster-mpb-dev (>= 6)
>
> Of those, golang-github-dtylman-scp-dev is not even in bullseye yet (i.e. it
> would be a NEW package), and the others are too old.
>
> I wouldn't personally mind backporting these -- they are just build
> dependencies, thus pose no runtime risk. However, some of them (at least
> golang-github-checkpoint-restore-go-criu-dev) are non-trivial to backport by
> themselves. I didn't go through the full tree yet.

I now spent about an hour trying to do that, and honestly I give up. These go
modules have tons of build conflicts, version incompatibilities, and mutual
dependencies -- I did not find any way to build them from stable to testing. It
almost seems they need some intermediate versions to bootstrap themselves to
the current ones.

So this needs someone who has better tools and more experience in untangling
this maze; Given that I don't have any personal need for the result, I'm afraid
my motivation only lasts that far..

But honestly, I think the correct answer for this mess *for backports* is to
ignore all the gazillion packaged Go modules, and vendor them in the source
package. I.e. pretty much what the kubic project does, it has
stable backports for a lot of distros including Debian 11:

  https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:kubic:libcontainers:stable/podman

i.e.

  echo "deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/libcontainers:/stable/Debian_11/ /" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubic-podman.list
  curl -L "https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/libcontainers:/stable/Debian_11/Release.key"; | sudo apt-key add -
  sudo apt install podman

These are officially recommended by the podman project, are even
preinstalled in GitHub's workflow runners, and they work just fine.

Martin