Unsing stable-backports as an ugprade path to stable+1

Hi,

This question is mostly asked to the backports ftp masters, though anyone voicing an opinion is welcome.

I've just uploaded Ceph 16.2.7 to bullseye-backports, as it reached testing. Obviously, this is to allow using the latest version in Stable. However, whenever Ceph Quincy (ie: 17.2.x) will be released, I'm wondering if I should upload it to Unstable. Indeed, Ceph only support skipping a single version. As Bullseye contains 14.2.21, it will only support upgrading to 16.2.x.

So, if I am to upload Ceph Quincy (17.x.x, if you're following) whenever it is ready upstream, if Debian is to provide some kind of Stable to Stable+1 path, we must keep somehow a repository for our users to upgrade to 16.2.x, and then I am wondering if, from the bullseye-backports FTP master perspective, it's fine to leave 16.2.x, and never upgrade the backports bullseye-backports to 17.x.x.

The challenge here is that Ceph release cycle for 2 releases is a little bit shorter than Debian's 1 release cycle, so the risk is that Debian is always behind, and looses security support.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)