Re: autopkgtesting of backports

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:00:32AM +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> ==== ISSUES ====
> It seems that the setup sometimes has some trouble installing the right
> packages in the backports setup. I.e. if there's a versioned dependency that
> has to come from backports too, or a package that's only available in
> backports (in the nncp autopkgtest) it doesn't install it. I thought apt
> should just install the package from backports (as implicitly documented by
> [1]), but I see this:
> """
> root@autopkgtest-lxc-edukey:/# apt-get install
> python3-azure-cli/bullseye-backports
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> Selected version '2.31.0-2~bpo11+1' (Debian Backports:bullseye-backports
> [all]) for 'python3-azure-cli'
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  python3-azure-cli : Depends: python3-azure (>= 20211104+git-1~) but
> 20201208+git-6 is to be installed
>                      Recommends: python3-azext-devops but it is not going to
> be installed
> """
> I've read apt_preferences(5) multiple times, but I still don't get why it
> fails. This is supposed to work, right?

Not with the default apt configuration. You would `-t
bullseye-backports` to allow packages from backports to be installed as
dependencies, or to install an suitable pinning file raising the
priority of bullseye-backports. However in this case we would want to
raise the priority only of the packages you really need, not of the
entire backports repository.

We should be seeing similar issues on the experimental pseudo excuses,
with packages from experimental that depend on other packages from
experimental.