Re: apt can't get some cockpit packages from buster-backports (repo sync issue?)

Hello Jessica,

Jessica Clarke [2020-04-14 16:27 +0100]:
> I found the reject reason:
>
> Your upload included the binary package cockpit-docker, version
> 215-1~bpo10+1, for all, however unstable already has version 214-1.

Ah, thanks for digging this out! The buildd page was all successful, this kind
of error isn't visible there.

> cockpit-docker 214-1 is cruft in unstable and only built in stable. dak
> is confused and does not auto-remove the cruft because it's still
> mentioned in the control file and disabled in debian/rules at build
> time.

Right, the idea was that cockpit-docker is being deprecated, and it should not
be built any more in Debian/Ubuntu development releases. But to avoid breaking
stable, I still want to build it for stable Debian/Ubuntu releases, i. e.
backports[1]:

| # only build deprecated cockpit-docker for stable releases (backports); Debian sid/testing has no VERSION_ID
| BUILD_DOCKER = $(findstring $(shell . /etc/os-release; echo $${VERSION_ID:-unstable}),10 18.04 19.10)
| ifeq ($(BUILD_DOCKER),)
|        export DH_OPTIONS = -Ncockpit-docker
| endif

So it should certainly be removed as cruft from unstable/testing. But if Debian
backports don't accept binary packages which *do* exist in buster and
buster-backports, but not in testing any more, I can just drop the "10" there
and not build it any more for buster-backports. (I'll keep the Ubuntu stable
releases there). Then buster users can still install cockpit-docker from final
Debian 10. It'll look a bit odd, but it will still work.

Thanks for your investigation!

Martin

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team/cockpit/-/blob/master/debian/rules