Re: Backporting testing Qemu to buster

On 06.02.20 13:18, Rishub wrote:
> I am attempting to backport qemu-1.4 to buster.

Minor nitpick, but it's qemu-4.2. The prefixed 1: is the (optional)
epoch:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version

> I am following the SimpleBackportGuide:
> https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation I used the Judd IRC
> bot to check if it were possible, and it told me that it was not
> since libslirp0 wasn't available on Buster, however, I have created
> and installed a backport of that package, so I should be able to
> create the qemu package, correct?

That should work, yes.

> Following that assumption, I downloaded the qemu package's source
> from bullseye, and followed the steps. My package failed at the
> fakeroot step with the below error. I am not sure why it's
> complaining about qemu being missing? Any guidance on backport
> creation or how to interpret these errors would be very helpful.
> Thanks!>
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_prep -a
> dh_installdirs -a
> # system and utils install
> /usr/bin/make -C b/qemu DESTDIR=/home/rishub/build/qemu/qemu-4.2/debian/tmp install \
>   KEYMAPS= ICON_SIZES=
> make[1]: *** b/qemu: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: *** [debian/rules:172: binary-arch] Error 2

Looks like the b/configure-stamp hasn't been executed yet:
    # system build
    rm -rf b/qemu; mkdir -p b/qemu
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The build-arch target depends on b/build-stamp, which depends on
b/configure-stamp. So this should not happen.

How / with what tool are you executing the build?

FWIW, I tried the following, and it worked right away:

  $ cd <libslirp-src>
  $ dch --bpo
  $ debuild -uc -us -S -d; cd -
  $ cd <qemu-src>
  $ dch --bpo
  $ debuild -uc -us -S -d; cd -

  $ sbuild -d buster-backports libslirp_4.1.0-2~bpo10+1.dsc

  $ sbuild -d buster-backports \
               --extra-package=libslirp0_4.1.0-2~bpo10+1_amd64.deb \
               --extra-package=libslirp-dev_4.1.0-2~bpo10+1_amd64.deb \
           qemu_4.2-3~bpo10+1.dsc

But it's not an sbuild thing. You should first figure out why
b/configure-stamp is not being executed.

Christian