Re: fixing a bug in stable or backporting from testing?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 13:25:27 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> somehow fix this issue on buster without a backport

I believe this would have to consist of talking to the release team and
the package's maintainers about updating device-tree-compiler in the next
buster point release, via stable-proposed-updates.

If it's a targeted fix for a specific bug with no regression risk,
the release team will probably say yes.

> But the thing is that I don't see an
> interest of fixing this issue on buster from the
> package maintainers

Would they be willing to have you, or someone else who isn't them, upload
a fixed version?

> and that way we'll have to wait for the next point release anyway

This is unavoidable, unless either the version in bullseye is backported,
or the backports team is willing to relax its usual policy for this
particular case.

> An alternative will be to make a "fixed backport"
> of device-tree-compiler, - take the version from
> buster, fix this bug, and call it bpo10-1.

My understanding is that this is not allowed by the backports team's
policy.

    smcv