Re: request to backport calibre 4.16.0

On 5/18/20 4:14 PM, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:

Recent versions of Calibre require qtbase5-dev (>= 5.12), buster (Debian
10) has 5.11.3+dfsg1-1+deb10u3, and a backport of Qt5 would break all
Qt5-using packages in buster.  Unfortunately this means there will be no
further backports of Calibre, and the existing package is technically in
violation of backports policy.

I couldn't find anything in the upstream or debian changelogs that indicate why this versioned debian dependency was added. Here's the commit for the change

https://github.com/norbusan/calibre-debian/commit/1041f

which says

   cleanup build and run deps

   - unify the layout: first specific, followed by common deps
     for both build and run
   - add several items to build deps since we do unit testing now
   - remove versions that are not available in Debian anymore

Probably there was a reason? But has anyone tried building with older?
In the upstream source, in ./bypy/sources.json I see

   "name": "qt-base",
   "version": "5.14.1",
   "hashes": {
"unix": "sha256:d9d423a6e7bcf1055c0372fc029f14a6fe67dd62c67b83095cde68b60b762cf7"
   }

but it comes from upstream that way, not debian.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org