Backporting testing Qemu to buster

Hi all,

I am attempting to backport qemu-1.4 to buster. I am following the SimpleBackportGuide: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
I used the Judd IRC bot to check if it were possible, and it told me that it was not since libslirp0 wasn't available on Buster, however, I have created and installed a backport of that package, so I should be able to create the qemu package, correct?

Following that assumption, I downloaded the qemu package's source from bullseye, and followed the steps. My package failed at the fakeroot step with the below error. I am not sure why it's complaining about qemu being missing? Any guidance on backport creation or how to interpret these errors would be very helpful. Thanks!

dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_prep -a
dh_installdirs -a
# system and utils install
/usr/bin/make -C b/qemu DESTDIR=/home/rishub/build/qemu/qemu-4.2/debian/tmp install \
  KEYMAPS= ICON_SIZES=
make[1]: *** b/qemu: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [debian/rules:172: binary-arch] Error 2