Re: Please backport openvswitch-switch and friends

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:37:43AM +0100, Kees Meijs wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We extensively use Open vSwitch in our OpenStack and Ceph environments and
> noticed version 2.10 "eats up" a CPU core with 100% utilisation on buster.
>
> For example:
>

>     2020-01-19T23:00:06.362Z|148220|poll_loop(handler130)|INFO|Dropped 734849
>     log messages in last 6 seconds (most recently, 0 seconds ago) due to
>     excessive rate
>     2020-01-19T23:00:06.362Z|148221|poll_loop(handler130)|INFO|wakeup due to
>     [POLLIN] on fd 23 (unknown anon_inode:[eventpoll]) at lib/
>     dpif-netlink.c:2786 (99% CPU usage)
>

> Other users experience a similar problem on other distributions as well. As it
> seems this is a bug resolved in version 2.11.

This seems like the type of bug that would warrant an update in a stable
point release, rather than a backport. The backports repository is meant
for adding new features, not for fixing bugs in the stable release.

The procedure for that is somewhat more involved, but in some cases
(like this one) it's a better solution for everyone involved.

> This morning I manually built the 2.11 package from bullseye and installed
> that. Although the build is not perfect (needed to add some files to debian/
> not-installed from bugtool) the resulting packages install well and the CPU
> usage is back to normal values.
>
> For reference, I added the following files:
>

>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/system-configuration.xml
>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/system-configuration/openvswitch.xml
>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/system-logs/openvswitch.xml
>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/kernel-info/openvswitch.xml
>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/network-status/openvswitch.xml
>     usr/share/openvswitch/bugtool-plugins/network-status/ovn.xml

Please file a bug against the package asking for an update to stable,
explaining that only those files need to be updated.

Thanks,

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard