Re: Jessie backports gone?

On Fri, 05 Apr 2019 at 09:33:58 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>    * (Wheezy and) Jessie have been removed from the mirrors, and, iiuc, Jessie
> is not in LTS (Long Term Support, iiuc)

I think you've got confused about the status of various suites.  The short
advice here is: please use Debian 9 'stretch'. If you can't use stretch,
read on...

Debian 8 'jessie' is no longer supported by the Debian stable release
and security teams: it reached end-of-life for "mainstream" Debian support
approximately a year after the release of stretch, which is the usual
policy. It is still partially supported by the Debian LTS project:
<https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/>. Packages for the CPU architectures
supported by LTS (such as amd64) continue to be available from the
main Debian mirrors and the security repository. Packages for the CPU
architectures not supported by LTS (such as mips) have been removed from
those mirrors.

The jessie-updates suite was provided alongside jessie while jessie
was supported by the Debian stable release and security teams. With
the transfer to LTS, it is no longer relevant (all packages from
jessie-updates were copied into jessie at the time of the transfer) and
has been removed from mirrors.

The jessie-backports suite was provided alongside jessie while jessie
was supported by the Debian stable release and security teams. With
the transfer to LTS, it is no longer supported and has been removed
from mirrors.

Debian 7 'wheezy' is no longer supported by Debian: it reached end-of-life
for mainstream support about a year after the release of jessie, and it
reached end-of-life for LTS (Long Term Support) in May 2018. As a result,
it has been removed from the main Debian mirrors and the security
repository, and associated suites like wheezy-updates and wheezy-backports
have also been removed. Freexian, an external company which also coordinates
Debian LTS sponsorship, has a more limited "Extended Long Term Support"
project based on wheezy <https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts/>, but
that happens outside Debian.

archive.debian.org is a historical record of Debian releases that are no
longer supported and should not continue to be used or installed, but
can be useful as a reference. In particular, it has copies of all the
packages that were in wheezy, jessie and their associated -updates and
-backports, just before they were deleted from the main Debian repository.

> iiuc, all the stuff that was in jessie-
> backports has been rolled into jessie LTS

No, in general, backports packages have not been rolled into jessie LTS
(there might be a few exceptions for packages where the LTS team decided
that they can only support a particular package by adopting the version
that was previously in jessie-backports). The only recommended upgrade
path for users of jessie-backports is to upgrade to stretch, which is
where those backports were backported from.

> (I might have .org and .net confused, I know both exist, one seems to be for
> current releases, the other seems to be for the archive.)

You have them confused. The difference between debian.org and debian.net
is that debian.org is for official Debian services, and debian.net is
for unofficial Debian-related services (some of which get moved to
debian.org later).

I think you are thinking of the difference between the main Debian
repository (ftp.debian.org, deb.debian.org and other mirrors), which is
for current releases, and the historical archive on archive.debian.org,
which is for old releases.

    smcv