Re: llvm-toolchain-8 backport to buster, or wait for 10?

Hello

Le 16/10/2019 à 06:18, Nicholas D Steeves a écrit :
Hi Gianfranco!

Gianfranco Costamagna <locutusofborg@debian.org> writes:

  ack!

     Il domenica 25 agosto 2019, 16:03:44 CEST, Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Dear Sylvestre and Backports Team,

A user of irony-mode (libclang-powered Emacs minor-mode) is struggling
to use newer version of libclang on buster (tldr; he's attempting to
use 10, and I wrote I'd be happy to backport 8, because we have to
wait until 10 is released and migrates to testing before official
Debian support on buster is possible):

   https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode/issues/543

If llvm-toolchain-10 is just around the corner and will be one of the
versions released with bullseye then it makes sense to wait until its
released.

Otherwise, would someone else like to maintain a buster bpo of
llvm-toolchain-8?
Thanks again for backporting llvm-toolchain-8!

Llvm-toolchain-9 is now in testing.  Would you please backport that one
too?  I switched irony-mode_1.4.0-1 to use it, and this package is also
now in testing.  IIRC the latest stable version of llvm-toolchain is
also used for libmesa, so it will also be useful for an eventual libmesa
buster-backport.

I don't think all llvm toolchain versions should be backported.

They are complex packages and are time consuming to maintain.

Your users should use https://apt.llvm.org/

Cheers

Sylvestre