Re: evolution-ews

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 7:48 PM Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 12:57:19 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> > evolution-ews has been removed from buster due to a vulerabilitly
> > shortly before release. I see that a fixed version is available in
> > testing[1] .  Could it be rebuilt for buster and uploaded?
>
> Someone with access to a Microsoft Exchange server (perhaps you?) would
> have to test and maintain this backport.
>
> As you can see from events around the buster release, the Debian GNOME
> team is having trouble keeping up with this package - the rest of GNOME
> takes up as much time as we have, and most of us probably don't have
> access to an Exchange server.
>
> > Without evolution-ews, Evolution has no MS Exchange connectivity, which
> > is what Evolution is supposedly about.
>
> Evolution is not "about" MS Exchange connectivity: it's designed to
> work with standard protocols like IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV. If Exchange
> connectivity was vitally important then it wouldn't be a separate,
> optional package.

IIRC evolution is the only solution to Exchange connectivity on Linux
platforms, even if I don't use it myself I have people around me
require it to stay on Debian. I would suggest Debian GNOME people to
find a chance to make that support available in buster-backports so
that an upgrade path from stretch could be warrented for ordinary
users.

Have a nice day,
Aron