virtualbox (stretch-backport) stopped working with linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64

Dear Backport-Maintainer, Dear Gianfranco,

Package: virtualbox
Architecture: amd64
Version: 5.2.24-dfsg-4~bpo9+1

stopped working when I've upgraded one of my Stretch computers to
linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64, linux-headers-4.9.0-9-amd64, ..

Package: linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64
Architecture: amd64
Version: 4.9.168-1+deb9u2

The message is
virtualbox
WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
         Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate
         headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.

         You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

though both packages are installed in the latest available version.
 LANG=C apt-get install virtualbox-dkms linux-headers-amd64

linux-headers-amd64 is already the newest version (4.9+80+deb9u7).
virtualbox-dkms is already the newest version (5.2.24-dfsg-4~bpo9+1).

status -l virtualbox
and dmesg lead to
[   11.662566] vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol cpu_tlbstate
[   11.662568] vboxdrv: Unknown symbol cpu_tlbstate (err -22)

According to https://backports.debian.org/FAQ/ this list is the right place to
report. It is not very important to me, but I thought you may want to know.
My next steps will be trying virtualbox-source and if this fails resorting
to the Oracle version.

Thanks for maintaining Free Software!
Best Regards,
Bernhard