Re: version numbering - ~debXuY vs ~bpoX+Y

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 01:20:20PM +0100, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:57:08AM +0100, Dominik George wrote:
> > >Some months ago I installed the backported nvidia drivers.
> > >Recently there was an update to stable that left me here,
> > >where I have a backports version that is now lower than the stable
> > >version
> > >  % dpkg --compare-versions 390.87-8~bpo9+1 lt 390.87-8~deb9u1
> >
> > imho this is a mistake by the person who updated stable and was missed
> > by the stable release managers. The stable update suffix should be
> > +deb9u1, not ~deb9u1.
>
> Not necessarily, ~deb9u1 is a perfectly fine suffix for stable updates,
> and used in many packages; it all depends on the kind of update that is
> being done.
>
> If this was done correctly enough, 390.87-8~deb9u1 should correctly
> supersed 390.87-8~bpo9+1 and differing only in the changelog, however
> this is not true, I believe due to changes that were done in the
> stretch-backports git branch, and then due to merges carried over;
> changes that have not been reflected in the stretch update.
>
> That said, even looking at the diff between the two versions I can't
> imagine anything actually causing trouble for you, backports user.
>
> What is the problem that you are effectively seeing, except "the version
> is greater", that is not a issue at all?

I sent the mail because this was the first time I could recall a
backport being superceded by a stable point release rather than
a new stable release. This may be a common event, I don't use that
many backports. Anyway I wondered where I could find any list
discussions about such a case, so I could see how it had been thought
through.

As you say this shouldn't be a problem but in this particular case
the nvidia package maintainers recommended avoiding mixing backported
and stable versions. I have had issues with that in the past.

> > > % cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/nvidia
> > > Explanation: Set priority higher than default (500) to ensure installation
> > > Package: nvidia* *-nvidia libnvidia* libegl* libgl* glx-* update-glx
> > > Pin: release a=stretch-backports
> > > Pin-Priority: 800
> > >

> > > Now aside from apt-cache ignoring my attempts at policy setting,
>
> You want to either set that priority to >= 991 (maybe even >= 1000), or
> decrease the one coming from stretch to < 100.
> But, as I said, I fail to see the problem.

Thanks for this, it works fine.