Re: Recent systemd stretch backport breaks sysvinit

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 03:38:18AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> While backporters must ensure that the dependencies of backported
> packages can be met in stable+backports, there is no requirement that
> they must be coinstallable with all the same packages as the version in
> stable.

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply.

This seems odd to me.  It is changing requirements for a pretty fundamental
part of the distribution.  It violates my expectations for what is allowed
in backports.  Perhaps that expectation is not correct, however.

> systemd-shim is not present in testing and will probably not be in the
> next release.  So you should either help to fix the RC bugs in systemd-
> shim or prepare to use systemd as pid 1 wherever you need to run other
> systemd daemons.

Has policy changed regarding support for multiple inits, or is it just that
no one is maintaining the shim and sysvinit-core?

Thanks.
-Chris

--
Chris Ruvolo