Re: keepassxc - request for review and upload

On 07/04/2018 09:03 PM, Nazar Zhuk wrote:

>>> KeepassXC (https://keepassxc.org/) is a more modern/user-friendly fork of KeepassX
>>> (https://www.keepassx.org/). Notably it has a much better support for HiDPI screens
>>> (it's Qt5 based).
>>
>> OK, that is a good explanation for having it in Debian in general. But why
>> do you want to have it in stretch-backports? Is there a reason beside your
>> personal use? (Note that this is mainly an informal question)
>
> I definitely prefer it over keepassx myself, but I would have stuck to keepassx since it's
> included in stretch. For me the biggest issue is HiDPI. That made it worth getting KeepassXC
> from testing. I think it may be useful to others with HiDPI screens and possibly in other use cases.
>
> Thanks,
> Nazar

Hi,

I've been using a backport to Stretch of keepassxc myself for a few
month already, and I really like it. As the OP wrote, no modification
needed, it just builds fine, and works perfectly.

What I like about keepassxc is that it supports my Yubikey as a medium
of encryption for my password db, which is great. No need to type any
password, as long as the yubikey is plugged. Note that for this, it
doesn't use GPG, but an SHA string (not sure about the detail). It's
only 128 bits of entropy, but that's fine for me, the goal is just to
have the file crypted so that other applications can't read it, my HDD
is encrypted using luks anyway.

I also like the fact it types for me instead of copy/past in the
clipboard, again, so that other apps can't read anything.

I would have sponsor the package, but I don't think that's reasonable, I
do have enough on my Debian plate already. If you do have enough time,
please do sponsor this upload to backports.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)