Re: gitlab for stretch-backports - call for testing

On വ്യാ, മേയ് 3, 2018 at 11:46 രാവിലെ, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo@alaxarxa.net> wrote:
Are you asking help for testing the package right? The bugs found reported via bugs in debian or mails to the list?

You can report them as bugs. I have already found some more ruby packages for gitaly needs an update (strangely we did not notice this issue in unstable).

https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/gitaly/blob/master/ruby/Gemfile (rugged, grpc and google-protobuf)

My initial hope was to provide updates via stretch-backports, but sudden explosion of nodejs front end dependencies made that impossible. Now all nodejs modules are installed via npm/yarn and gitlab is moved to contrib.
But is this situation temporally? or do you plan to continue in this way in Buster?

I hope we will be in a better position in buster as I don't expect such huge jumps like this one. But we may need to do the same for buster depending on two factors 1. how hard the backporting really is, 2. how desperately we need the new features.

More than a 100 node module packages are stuck in NEW for over 5-7 months and not sure how to get it back in main. If you'd like to help, please volunteer with ftp team and help process the node modules.
I understand that when this packages were in main, gitlab will move to main again. Is this correct?

Yes, these packages in NEW plus some more yet to be packaged. https://wiki.debian.org/_javascript_/Nodejs/Tasks/gitlab has the status of dependencies. I hope to do the remaining once the packages in NEW starts moving again.