Re: fixed steps to reproduce [stretch-backports] git fetch fails to fetch new tags from upstream remote

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:05:13PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> Stretch + git (and associated deps) from stretch-backports fails to
> fetch new tags from upstream remote.
>
> In the last month or so I've encountered this in three projects.  Here
> is the fastest way to reproduce:
>
> # from a stretch + git (and associated deps) from stretch-backports
> git clone https://github.com/technomancy/find-file-in-project.git
> cd find-file-in-project
> git reset --hard 5.6.8
> git pull
> # refs are pulled, tags are not
> git reset --hard 5.6.8
> git fetch
> # nothing is fetched

Argh, nope sorry, I was dumb and my minimal example to reproduce is
bogus...I forgot to delete the tag in that example, so of course it
won't fetch a new one.

This example implicates salsa, but is actually reproducible:

git clone git@salsa.debian.org:emacsen-team/find-file-in-project.git
cd find-file-in-project
git remote add upstream-vcs https://github.com/technomancy/find-file-in-project.git
git fetch upstream-vcs

Result:

Fails to fetch the upstream 5.6.8 and 5.7.0 tags.  Fetches up to
5.6.7.  As shown in the previous single github remote example 5.6.8
and 5.7.0 are fetchable.

Cheers,
Nicholas