Recent updates broke octave in backports:

Recent updates broke octave in backports:

Thanks for packaging the latest octave in backports.

Unfortunately, recent updates have broken everything:

Octave is divided into core and packages, and the latter is very important for me.

Octave recently transitioned from 4.2.0 to 4.4.0 in backports, but the transitioned removed liboctave-dev.

This means that any command such as

    pkg install -forge general

fails with:

    pkg: please install the Debian package "liboctave-dev" to get the mkoctfile command

And, of course, the stable's liboctave-dev is not compatible with octave.

Nor can I install octave-general from debian stable:

  octave-general : Depends: liboctave3v5 but it is not going to be installed (because it conflicts with the octave version.)

Thanks
Dave