Re: Using backported debhelper considered tricky

Hi Niels,

> The Breaks on qt5-qmake in debhelper is allegedly to assist with
> cross-building[1].  However, given most cross-building efforts are done
> in sid and the relevant version of qt5-qmake has long been in
> testing+sid, I suspect we can drop that Breaks again.

okay.

> As for cmake, that breaks is to ensure you get the same result in sid
> vs. stretch-backports in compat 11 (see debhelper changelog for 11.1).

I fear that that changelog entry and #886127 do not contain
enough information for me to comprehend what’s going on there.

> But given the relevant version of cmake is in -backports, I do not
> understand how that is worse than qt5-qmake?

It’s “probably” not a problem for cmake, but with other things
debhelper can have a Conflicts or Breaks on, this may introduce
undesired and otherwiese unnecessary dependencies on other back‐
ported packages.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
«MyISAM tables -will- get corrupted eventually. This is a fact of life. »
“mysql is about as much database as ms access” – “MSSQL at least descends