Re: requesting asciidoctor transition needed to update bpo of git

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 03:47:30PM -0700, Joseph Herlant wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Joseph, that's a very good point!  Yes, I agree that the best way
> > forward would be to transition git to asciidoctor.  eg: if asciidoc
> > was backported, and then dropped from unstable (and thus testing) then
> > I think an asciidoc~bpo removal request would become a necessary
> > hassle.  Asciidoctor/1.5.4-2 is available in stretch.  Is it new
> > enough?  In the spirit of quid pro quo, please let me know if there's
> > anything I can do to help with the git-el to magit mini-transition :-)
> >
> > Mert, you're right about minimal requirements.  That said, I think the
> > data provided by reproducible builds and autopkgtests/DebCI helps
> > support the case that the backports repository is a higher quality
> > source of updates than other distributions' alternatives.  Yes, in
> > this case it seems only documentation is affected... ;-) Honestly, I'm
> > not looking forward to fixing an unreproducible build in one of my own
> > packages (only affects documentation) because it will require adding
> > generate-date-stamp-for-a-specific-date functionality to a project that
> > is dead upstream.
>
> Hold on, could you tell me which functionality you are looking for
> when backporting asciidoc into stable?
>
> If it's just for having the ability to have reproducible builds you
> know you already can do that since #656736 which has been merged in
> 8.6.9-3 right? (stable is already in 8.6.9-5).
> You just need to add the "-a footer-style=none" to your asciidoc command.
> Patch example: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?att=1;bug=777177;filename=patch.asciidoc.diff.txt;msg=5
>
> That basically removes the date from the footer when generating documentation.

Sorry for that off-topic remark.  WRT my unreproducible package
(src:muse-el) the problem is that muse.el doesn't support overriding
the date used to generate the date stamp; It generates its
documentation by converting from its own .muse markdown-like format
and asciidoc is definitely not at fault.

Given what Mert said src:git needed a newer asciidoc for, it sounds
like the three options for unblocking an update of the git bpo are (in
order of preference)

 1. transition to asciidoctor
 2. add "-a footer-style=none" to src:git's asciidoc command[s]"
 3. backport asciidoc

I had initially requested 3, but I've given up on that because 1 and 2
are better solutions :-)

Cheers,
Nicholas