Re: systemd 230-7~bpo8+2 (bug causes shutdown freeze)

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 at 07:20:40 +0000, garnut992-debian@yahoo.com wrote:
> There is a serious bug is systemd 230-7~bpo8+2 in jessie-backports that causes the shutdown procedure to hang/freeze, if you have a encrypted disk.

If I'm reading the bug correctly, this is more specifically a bug in
udev, when run under sysvinit (not systemd) as pid 1. So it is
mitigated by not affecting Debian's default init implementation
(although the fix would have to be applied to the systemd source
package, because that also builds udev).

> You get a message "stopping remaining crypto disks" and then the shutdown procedure hangs and the whole system freezes, leaving only a hard power off to shutdown one's system.
>
> See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=791944
> And: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792552
>
> This was fixed in systemd 233-1.
>
> See: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/s/systemd/unstable_changelog

By backports policy, this can't be fixed in jessie-backports other than
by backporting from stretch. I don't see any reference to #791944 having
been fixed in stretch?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=867335 is a request
for permission to update systemd in stretch with some other bug fixes
taken from unstable. #791944 would have to go through the same process.