Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 24 May 2017 22:21:02 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> >  The website has right on the front page a very clear statement on
> > that expectations:
> >
> > ,-----------------> https://backports.debian.org/ <-----------------
> > | Backports are packages taken from the next Debian release (called
> > | "testing"), adjusted and recompiled for usage on Debian stable.
> > [...] | (In a few cases, usually for security updates, backports
> > are also | created from the Debian unstable distribution.)"
> > `-----------------> https://backports.debian.org/
> > <-----------------
>
> That's correct. That's what they are... at one point in time. And
> afterwards this is no longer true when testing evolves and when
> backports are not updated.
>
> >  I consider the case closed unless something new is brought up.  We
> > are turning in circles.
>
> I think we made some progress in the other thread already.
>
> Can you answer
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2017/05/msg00112.html ?
>
> >  Having a proper discussion means to not start to ignore the current
> > system and then start an argument how unfair you feel treated.
>
> It's not about my feeling. It's about what brings the most value to
> our users. The current policy doesn't let me use $stable-backports in
> the most beneficial way for our users. Yes, my interpretation of the
> policy is not in line with your interpretation. You want your way and
> I want my way.
>
> Can we step back and think about what are the advantages/disadvantages
> of both cases?
>
> Scenario 1: Keeping 1.8.x in jessie-backports
>
> Advantages:
> - users can get this widely used LTS version from an official Debian
> repository
> - DSA can continue to use it to keep tracker.debian.org safe
>
> Disadvantages:
> - nobody else can upload 1.10.7-1~bpo+1 as long as we want to stick to
>   1.8.x in jessie-backports
>   => uploading to backports should be done with the maintainer's
> assent anyway and I'm one of the maintainers, I would just explain the
>   rationale why it's important to stick to 1.8.x in jessie-backport
>
> Refuted disadvantages:
> - maintaining another version than the one in testing makes it harder
> to take over backport maintenance after me
>   => wrong because we can bump to 1.10.7-1~bpo+1 if we can no longer
>   maintain 1.8.x
>

> Scenario 2: upgrade to 1.10.x in jessie-backports
>
> Advantages:
> - we stick closely to your policy
> - we have a newer version in jessie-backrpots (albeit a non-LTS one)
>
> Disadvantages:
> - we inflict some backwards incompatible changes on the users who
>   opted to use 1.8.x from jessie-backports (unless they fixed
>   all the warnings they had with the former Django version)
> - users of the LTS version cannot get it from an official Debian
> mirror
> - I have to figure out how to get updates installed with DSA

Scenario 3: replace 1.10 in Stretch with 1.8

Advantages:
- the backport regains a link with Stretch
- policy is maintained
- the upgrade problems are solved (or at worst deferred)
- no backwards incompatible changes for users

Disadvantages:
- epoch
- (I've likely missed some others as it's more a question for Raphael.)

Personally, I'm fine with 1 or 3 but 2 is not going to help users upgrade.

--

Neil Williams