Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 16:08 +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 01:30:00PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I think we should have an additional exception for cases where it
> > becomes impractical to backport newer versions but a maintainer is
> > willing to support it with important fixes.
>
> Is this a good idea, or wouldn't it be better to strongly try to avoid
> backporting such packages at all?
[...]

That assumes knowledge of future incompatibilities.

As an example, initramfs-tools in wheezy-backports is version
0.115~bpo70+1 and I never updated it to 0.120 because that's
incompatible with the wheezy versions of cryptsetup, lvm2 and systemd-
sysv.  I think I could update it to 0.116 safely but that doesn't seem
to be allowed.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of