Re: Failing disk advice

If you know it's going to fail and already plan to replace it, remove it manually. Though MDADM usually handles disk failures gracefully, if the HDD gets into an "I say I work but don't" situation (and they do) it can get ugly fast; I've seen this crash more than one system and once caused data loss (because the second disk also started failing silently, but MDADM hadn't detected the first failure yet and hence hadn't started rebuilding until it was too late). Better safe then sorry!