Re: Maintaining Django 1.8.x in jessie-backports

   Hi,

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [2017-06-06 15:36:40 CEST]:
> now that we (Django maintainers) have clarified that:
> - we expect Debian stable releases to contain Django LTS releases
> - we failed to do this for jessie and stretch
> - but that we have committed to keep only LTS version in buster for the
>   future: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-django.git/tree/debian/README.Django-packaging-policy?h=debian/experimental
>
> Are you willing to grant us a permanent exception so that we can continue
> to maintain Django 1.8.x in jessie-backports ?

 Given that at this stage of the release there is no other way possible
anymore, you can continue, as much as it is contrary to anything that
backports is about, and what its name implies.

> We will do the same with Django 1.11.x in stretch-backports but we don't
> need any exception since buster will continue to host 1.11.x for a long
> time to come.

 Exactly, that's the core basis for moving on from here and the lesson
learned.

> Note that we don't need 1.8.x in jessie-backports for any upgrade problem.
> The problem of Neil Williams with lava-server has been fixed on the Django
> side (#863267) and worked-around on the lava-server side (#847277). The
> only reason we want it in jessie-backports is because that's the version
> that most jessie users are interested in.

 Please (in general, not django specific) keep that in mind when
uploading stuff to unstable, that this will influence backports, too.

 Thanks,
Rhonda