Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On May 31, 2017 5:03:17 PM EDT, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
>On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 07:35:30AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
>> Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > "upload the alpha release at the start of the freeze" - seriously?
>> > It is pretty clear what kind of answer you would have gotten from
>> > the release team.
>>
>> I don't think anybody here can talk on behalf of the release team. To
>do
>> so is speculation.
>
>The release team has a freeze policy.
>
>> Why not ask the release time?
>>
>> (Ok, right now before an pending release may not be the best of times
>> however.)
>
>Better do this before anyone has the crazy idea of uploading Django 2.0
>to unstable...

The python-django maintainers have already started documenting their plans:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-django.git/commit/?id=ded34be

I don't think there's a need to ask the release team to tell them to do what they plan to do.

>Since both Django and Debian have a 2 year schedule the situation
>regarding Django 2.2 LTS and buster is exactly the same as the
>situation regarding Django 1.11 LTS and stretch at the time when
>Django 1.9 was uploaded to unstable:
>
>The first release from Django 2.2 LTS and Debian buster are both
>expected to be released in April 2019.[1]
>
>A "no" from the release team to Django 2.2 LTS in buster would
>confirm my statement that the release team would have answered
>the same regarding Django 1.11 LTS in stretch at the time when
>Django 1.9 was uploaded to unstable - it is the same question
>with 2 years offset.
>
>cu
>Adrian
>
>[1] buster release date is approximate, based on the announced
>    December 2018 hard freeze date

No.  It's entirely hypothetical and not something that can be confirmed.

It doesn't matter though.  We can't change the past and there's a plan to do better in the future.  Arguing about hypotheticals is pointless.

Scott K