Re: what to do with LTS-backports?

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

It is a good reason to think again about we present the support status
of backports and other suites to our users.  Should they be expected to
monitor a particular list?  Install a package?  Should APT support some
kind of metadata indicating packages that are now unsupported?

Installing a new package seems to be an unlikely course of action for users, as does monitoring a particular list.

I think it would help most if there was some sort of notification when performing apt-get upgrade, and preferably even either from apt-listchanges or during unattended-upgrades.

Therefore, as I see it, users would probably benefit most from additional APT metadata, probably maintained by the debian-security and/or debian-lts teams, depending on whether we're talking about ordinary security support or LTS.

The problem with that, is that it's probably kind of hard to get acceptance for doing in oldstable, stable, testing etc. near-simultaneously.
--
Jan