Re: backported libpulse-dev cannot be installed due to dependency version issues (caused by the backport)

That apt output looks as though you've instructed apt to install
libpulse-dev from jessie, but you already have libpulse0 etc. from
jessie-backports, which are incompatible with libpulse-dev from jessie.

Thanks, this seems to be the culprit.

I thought I had set priorities but I commented out the jessie-backports one at some point
in time between updating PulseAudio and now.

Sorry for wasting your time with my noobness.

-Albert