Re: virtualbox not fully installable

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 21:01 +0200, news@tcrass.de wrote:
[...]
> Setting up virtualbox-dkms (5.0.20-dfsg-2~bpo8+1) ...
> First Installation: checking all kernels...
> Building only for 4.5.0-2-amd64
> Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
> kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
> Job for virtualbox.service failed. See 'systemctl status
> virtualbox.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action "restart" failed.
> Setting up virtualbox (5.0.20-dfsg-2~bpo8+1) ...
> Setting up virtualbox-qt (5.0.20-dfsg-2~bpo8+1) ...
> Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
> -------->8--------
>
> In particular the line "Module build for the currently running kernel
> was skipped since the kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be
> installed." puzzles me, since the 4.5 sources are actually installed:
>
> --------8<--------
> apt-cache policy linux-source-4.5linux-source-4.5:
>    Installed: 4.5.4-1~bpo8+1
>    Candidate: 4.5.5-1
[...]

The error message is a bit misleading.  You actually need the 'linux-
headers' package corresponding to the kernel version you want to build
for.  The 'linux-headers-amd64' package from jessie-backports should
always depend on the right package.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Nothing is ever a complete failure; it can always serve as a bad