Re: request: ruby2.3 in jessie-backports

Hello,

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:53:00AM +0200, Grégory Pakosz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you may have noticed, Ruby 2.1 reached EOL at the end of March 2016.

That is not true. Ruby 2.1 is *not* EOL, it still gets security support.

> Since then, many Ruby gems dropped support for Ruby 2.1 which makes them
> unusable in Debian stable.

That does not sound like a sensible move given Ruby 2.1 is *not* EOL ...
do you have specific examples?

> Could you please consider adding ruby2.3 currently in testing to
> jessie-backports as well?

Unfortunately that is not viable, for a few reasons:

- whenever we add a new version of ruby we need to rebuild all packages
  with native extensions, and that is clearly not something we can
  responsibly do in the backports repository.

- introducing a new ruby interpreter might break several end-user
  packages that depend on ruby, say chef, puppet, vagrant, redmine, etc
  etc. when introducing a new interpreter on unstable, we often need to
  fix quite a bit of incompatibilities, which is OK for a development
  distro, but not OK for a stable one (and therefore not OK for
  backports).

This is not the first time this is requested, and I do sympathize with
your use case. In theory it could be doable but making it right would
require an enormous amount of testing, for which I don't have the time.

What you can do, is rebuild the ruby2.3 package on jessie, which should
"just work", and then create symlinks like /usr/local/bin/ruby ->
/usr/bin/ruby2.3 etc.