Re: migrating to Debian gitlab

[adding backports to cc]

On Sunday 21 February 2016 05:01 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> I have started backporting gitlab for jessie #815216 has status updates.

I have built it on jessie (with tests disabled for some packages).

http://mahishasura.pxq.in/ has the gitlab package for jessie. I have
automated the build process to a large extend here
https://gitlab.com/debian-ruby/backportr

https://git.pxq.in is running gitlab on jessie (its a test instance).
But we'll soon have git.fosscommunity.in open public (for those who want
to be on 100% Free Software, as gitlab.com is running on GitLab EE). You
can track its progress at
https://www.loomio.org/g/Qu3O8mSf/fosscommunity-in-git-fosscommunity-in-maintainers
if you are interested.

https://gitlab.com/debian-ruby/backportr/blob/master/lib/gitlab_notes-install.txt
gives you additional packages you need to manually install before
installing gitlab.

https://gitlab.com/debian-ruby/backportr/blob/master/lib/gitlab_notes.txt has
the manual steps I had to take for backporting.

I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to upload it to
jessie-backports. Looking for comments from the backports team. Also any
help in maintaining the backports is welcome.

The last major issue we have to fix is
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=814871 Any help in
debugging and fixing this is welcome.

I think once this bug is fixed, we can start working on a gitlab
instance for debian, finally!