Re: where is linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.2-rt-686-pae

On Sun, 2015-10-25 at 21:55 +0100, humbert.olivier.1@free.fr wrote:
> hi all,
>
> following an advice on the IRC channel, I'm posting here.
>
> I'm running a debian 8 updated.
> I did install a kernel from backports a while ago. More precisely,
> this one : linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.2-rt-686-pae.
>
> On another computer, I was looking to install the same kernel but I
> can't find it anymore here : https://packages.debian.org/jessie-
> backports/kernel/
> The new version (4.2.x) doesn't provide a RT flavour so I'm a bit
> stuck since it's installed on one of my computer, but I can't install
> it on another computer.
> I know that as a workaround, I can still get the .deb from this
> computer's /var/cache/apt/archives/ and install it on the other
> computer.
> That said, it looks a bit dirty and not sustainable on a long term
> view.
>
> Can someone tell me if that's usual in backport that some package are
> removed without an equivalent package provided (I'm quite new to
> backport), or if it's unusual and due to something specific such as a
> security issue in this package (or another thing) that I would have
> missed?

It's usual if a new version of the source package (linux in this case)
doesn't build that same binary package any more.

> Or, is there another specific place I can get this package from?

All old packages are available from http://snapshot.debian.org but
without any security support.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by stupidity.