Subject: wheezy-backports: lxc security update: looking for sponsor + BSA requested
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 00:47:32 +0200
From: Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de>
To: backports-team@debian.org

Hello,
(I'm sending this only to backports-team because it's security-related,
otherwise I'd have used the backports list. If this is wrong, I
apologize and please tell me what to do in the future in similar cases.)

I'm maintaining the backported version of LXC in wheezy-backports, and
there was a recent security update for LXC in jessie.

DSA: https://www.debian.org/security/2015/dsa-3317
CVEs:
  https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2015-1331
  https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2015-1334

I've backported it and uploaded the package to mentors.debian.net:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lxc/lxc_1.0.6-6+deb8u1~bpo70+1.dsc

I've successfully built this in a clean wheezy VM and did some very
simple functionality tests.

It would be great if someone could sponsor this upload, and there's also
the need for a BSA (my guess is that since I'm not a DD, the sponsor
will have to send the mail to debian-backports-announce@). I've
pre-written the announcement email (feel free to change anything you
need to; I've copied the vulnerability descriptions from the DSA):

Subject: [BSA-XXX] Security Update for lxc

<Uploader> uploaded new packages for lxc which fixed the following
security problems:

CVE-2015-1331
  Roman Fiedler discovered a directory traversal flaw in LXC when
  creating lock files. A local attacker could exploit this flaw to
  create an arbitrary file as the root user.

CVE-2015-1334
  Roman Fiedler discovered that LXC incorrectly trusted the container's
  proc filesystem to set up AppArmor profile changes and SELinux domain
  transitions. A malicious container could create a fake proc
  filesystem and use this flaw to run programs inside the container
  that are not confined by AppArmor or SELinux.

For the wheezy-backports distribution the problems have been fixed in
version 1.0.6-6+deb8u1~bpo70+1.

Thanks!

Regards,
Christian