Re: Fwd: jessie backport for Wordpress

Am Mittwoch, 3. Juni 2015, 15:27:00 schrieb Rodrigo Campos:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 08:16:28AM +0200, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> > > come to debian, and the wordpress support policy is limited to the
> > > last
> > > release, IMHO, it makes sense to backport it to jessie. Also, I'd
> > > really
> > > like to have the current wordpress version (or pretty close), so a
> > > backport seems appropriate for me.
> >
> >  The last sentece here is the *ONLY* reason you should consider doing a
> >
> > backport for.  The whole discussion (on the backports-team list before)
> > didn't even contain that sentence, so I'm very disturbed by your
> > approach which sounds like you have a big misunderstanding about what
> > backports is about and for.
> >
> >  Please let me know how you want to address the security issues for
> >
> > stable before I consider having wordpress for backports approved.  This
> > is crucial to me for understanding on how you plan to maintain and take
> > care of the package in the long run.
>
> No, sorry, it's not about that only. The discussion turned like that in
> the backports-team ML because I asked for a BSA and gave security stuff.
> But the reasoning, and my mail to this list, should have been totally
> different, you are right.
>
> The main reason, I guess, is the one I just said to Holger (c&p from that
> mail):
>
> 	I've been using wordpress in wheezy and there were tons of plugins not
> 	supported and tons of plugins that, although they worked, didn't fix
> 	bugs for such old WP versions. Or even not look at it, just said: "That
> 	WP version is not supported, try to reproduce with a X version".
>
> 	And it's a shame, but plugins are important in my case :-/. So, if I
> 	can always have an updated WP version, it's really nice.
>

> Also, we are using a custom WP theme and the designer hated me for having
> such an outdated WP version. But that's not as bad as not being able to
> use tons of plugins.
>
> Right now the stable version is not outdated, but it eventually will and
> the site designer and people using it really prefer newer WP versions for
> plugins mostly (but some functionality too).

As a user of wordpress I may not need this for plugins, as I only use a few,
but I´d still like to follow wordpress updates more than once every 2-3
years while keeping the rest of the server VM at Jessie. These webapps are
just developed in such a fast paced manner.

I did so via unstable and still do it, but it started pulling a new
dependency from sid in, so its not installable anymore on Jessie without
doing so, which I think is another criterion for a backport. Its its
installable from Sid without pulling any other dependencies in, I read
repeatedly, it does not qualify for an backport. But here it does so.

Thanks,