Re: remove owncloud from wheezy-bpo

Am 04.01.2015 um 13:07 schrieb Alexander Wirt:
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2015, Paul Muster wrote:
> I will remove owncloud and its deps as soon as I find time. This won't help
> the people already installed owncloud, but at least it will prevent others
> from installing them.
>
> As soon as there is a proper maintainer the package can get reintroduced.
>
> Alex

I just made a migration from the backports package to upstream's
"official" package over their 3rd party repository:
https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=isv:ownCloud:community&package=owncloud

To my surprise this was pretty easy:
1. At first please make backups of your ownCloud directories before
migrating. :)
2. Then I stoppend apache2 just to be sure that ownCloud does not do
anything in the background while I am not done with my migration.
3. I removed the current package with "apt-get remove owncloud".
4. Then I added their repository and and ran "apt-get install owncloud"
to get the latest 7.0.4 package. (GPG key seems to be expired!)
5. I moved the content of /etc/owncloud into /var/www/owncloud/config/
and the content of /var/lib/owncloud/data/ into /var/www/owncloud/data/
6. Adjust the paths in /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
7. Restart apache2 and let ownCloud finish the update.

Optional:
8. If you have set up a cron job for ownCloud's background tasks you
should also adjust it according to this description:
http://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/admin_manual/configuration/background_jobs.html
8.1 Figure out how to get out of this hellish joe editor.
8.2 Set nano as your new default editor. ;-)

The file permissions seem to be fine and the htaccess files are also
looking good. But I still have to take a closer look over them.

I still want to thank the maintainers for their work on this backport.
Imho ownCloud has become usable for me for the first time with version
7.0, because during my previous attempts I stumbled on heavy issues
pretty early. Therefore it just feels like a solid "1.0" release for me
and I can't imagine that maintaining and packaging such a rapidly
developing piece of software is any fun for stable distributions like
Debian. :)

Greetings,
Hakan