Re: remove owncloud from wheezy-bpo

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

> On Wed Nov 19 2014 at 7:12:02 PM Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo@alaxarxa.net>
> wrote:
>
> > El Dimecres, 19 de novembre de 2014, a les 15:52:31, Mike Gabriel va
> > escriure:
> > > The dependency
> > > stack of owncloud is not probablematic for 7.0.3. It is the
> > > build-chain of the new mediaelement package that convinced of my
> > > request of having owncloud plus deps removed from wheezy-bpo.
> >

> > Before to do this problematic approach, please could you make some a
> > clarifications?
> >
> > 1) the problem is the _number_ of build dependencies or the type of build
> > dependencies?
> >
> > 2) Could you provide a list of the problematic dependencies? Maybe a team
> > could made them for backports.
>

> Indeed.
> If we are talking of a few (at most 10 or more if there are other person
> available, and anyway I'd need a sponsor) packages to backport I'm
> available to help. As a user of owncloud I've all the interest of keeping
> it on wheezy-backports.
>
> OTOH in theory Jessie should be stable in "February" ? "March?". So, we are
> > talking about a few months to maintain backports ...
> >

> I disagree. Jessie will be release in the next month (say, during the
> spring) but not all people upgrade their server right after the release
> (for sure I won't). A backport imho should be maintained at least until
> 2016.
Thats wrong too. If you upload a backport you will have to maintain it over
the whole lifetime of that release.

"Please note, that you are responsible for this backport from the time on
when it was accepted on debian-backports. This means, you have to keep track
of the changes in unstable, update your backport when a new version enters
testing and provide security updates when needed. If you are not willing or
capable of doing this, you better ask someone else (e.g. on the mentioned
mailinglist) to create and maintain the backport."

Alex