Re: Backporting kate (at least 4.11.n) to Wheezy by a newbie?

There is a question or two in the last three paragraphs--the rest I guess you could say is background.

Background:

I've now followed Alenjandro's advice, and compiled the application myself and installed it to a directory.

The version that I compiled was actually 4.14.n. (I forget what it was marked--I think it was the latest version as of yesterday, and I can't easily check the version in kate--see below for an explanation.)

It works fine for me, but I'd mention these shortcomings:

* I did not install kdelibs5-dev version 4.14.n on my system--during the compile it complained about that, but I forced it to compile anyway, and most things seem to work--in particular, the bug fix that I needed (which is incorporated in version 4.11.n) is present and works!

* Also during the compile it warned me that the kactivities file was not present--I installed a kactivities file from wheezy (i.e., kde 4.8.4) (I think I got it by installing libkactivities, iirc), but even then it wasn't recognized. So, I suspect the version of kate that I compiled will not work as a kactivity (but, at this point I don't care, I don't quite know what a kactivity is and don't use it / them).

* Because I compiled against version 4.8.4, kate still reports its version as kate 3.8.4 on kde 4.8.4, but I know for sure it is version 4.14.n for a few reasons, among them that the bugfix that I needed, which is not present in 4.8.4) is there in the compiled version of kate.

Question(s):

I'm guessing that this could be of value to someone else, so I have thoughts of making it available somehow--I'm guessing (but don't know for sure) that all I'd have to "package up" is the binary, and maybe the other contents of the directory the binary is in.

Does this now constitute a "backport", or a significant beginning to a backport, and if so, what should I do to make it a backport.

I have read the Debian guidelines for backports, and I'd have to say that I don't think I have the expertise (or the time) to continually update this as new changes are made to kate 4.14

Randy Kramer