Re: Apache 2.4 backport

Hi,

On 24.09.2014 14:41, Alexander Wirt wrote:
>> FYI I intend to upload a backport of Apache 2.4, because we're going
>> to need it for deploying the next FusionForge on Wheezy.
>>
>> I'll use this method:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingFormalBackports#Self-contained_example_for_Apache_2.4
> did you talked with the apache maintainers in advance? If not please do so
> and ask them what they think about such a backport.

personally I do not mind either way but I'd never take the burden to
maintain that backport. About the decision itself, it is something the
backport ftpmasters need to decide upon, not us.

However, as Jan said in the other mail backporting Apache 2.4 to Wheezy
is a heavy invasive package that has a few hundred reverse dependencies,
that won't work with a backport package as ABIs and APIs are
incompatible, and the packaging has changed. To give you an idea: [1]
has a list of packages that are instantly RC-buggy without a  side
backport, and [2] is a list of packages, that may or may not break in
one way or another.

[1]
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=apache24transition;users=debian-apache@lists.debian.org;archive=both
[2]