Re: fs-uae_2.4.1+ds-2~bpo70+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

* Vincent Cheng <vcheng@debian.org> [2014-05-21 09:03:42 CEST]:
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 May 2014, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> > There are several users reading the changes list to see what changed in a
> > backport. Same counts for me (ftpmaster) when reviewing packages.
> > A few months ago I made a survey if we should remove that requirement but it
> > had no majority.

 Thanks for doing that survey.

> It's certainly not the only way to see changes done in a backport
> (fetching the changelog manually does the job equally well, although
> it is less convenient). I guess the question to be answered here is
> whether the frustration and time lost due to the "-v" requirement is
> worth the added convenience of having a full set of changes sent to
> the list for each upload.

 It would be more convenient if the aptitude/apt-get people could sit
together with the ftpmasters and fix it that aptitude/apt-get changelog
for backports version would actually work.  Last time I looked at this I
submitted a patch, unfortunately it still fails:

$ apt-get changelog tmux=1.9-5~bpo70+1
Err Changelog for tmux (http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/t/tmux/tmux_1.9-5~bpo70+1/changelog)
  500  Bad redirection (invalid URL)

 Actually the file is called tmux_1.9-5~bpo70+1_changelog with an _
instead of the / before changelog.

 Personally I guess some of those who want it in the changes mailing
list (which I understand is very convenient) could be convinced to be
happy if apt-get/aptitude changelog finally just works.

 For me as ftpmaster I have to agree with Alex, it's pretty helpful when
working on the NEW queue.  I guess I could live with that and write me
scripts that fetch me the relevant information, but it's also very
convenient from this point of view.

> Just curious, as backports ftpmaster, do you think that (the
> possibility of) having to reject packages multiple times (and the cost
> in terms of additional time spent reviewing the queue, and frustration
> from having to repeat this over and over again) outweigh the benefits?

 Why do you think it's "multiple times"?  I can't follow that actually,
am not aware it happened, and usually I approach the uploader directly
too.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda