Re: Request for testers: iproute2 backport

Hallo,

no problem. The upstream maintainer need neary two years to fix the main problem witch action -j MARK etc. I think the action -j MARK is not widely used. I stumbled over the problem near Eastern by try to do some ingress traffic shaping and analytic on my home server.

It is a good idea to put the backport online. Because the upstream maintainers fix many other problems between wheezy iproute20120521-3+b3_amd64.deb and today iproute2 package too and the action -j MARK features becomes usable.

Perhaps it could be a good idea to make a source branch for this backport in the debian git source tree. For me and perhaps for others it would make things easier to analyze and fix if all the sources at one place.

The following is not a reproach but should only tell my experience:
I had a hard learning curve to learn the debian way to build packages and learning is not finished. It took me man days. Most time was spent in finding out how the "build" things work together and how to break the building process get a full patched source tree on that I can start my coding. And than the code of the backport is not in the git rep ....

The debugging and writing the fix only one day. There was the problem that gdb/DDD does not work with shared libraries. I found no way to attach the source of the shared objects. So I had to do it in the old way
modifying the sources of iptables and iproute by adding fprintf(...) lines.

Are there any hints how to tell gdb at runtime where the source of a shared object are. ( preloading of the shared object does not work in this case because the m_xt.so was not preloadable for me )

And least perhaps it is a good idea to log the git hash code of the upstream repository for an "upstream import" in addition to the version number. It makes it easier to find the real starting point (commit) in the original upstream.

Best wishes

Andreas