Re: Request Python3.4/python-pyrex back port

On 25/02/14 10:43, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> Why do you want python3.4 anyway? lxml upstream supports Python 3.2,
> which is the default version in wheezy.

I think the lxml package listed 3.3 as a dependency and since 3.4 was
available in testing I assumed if a back port was to happen it may be
worth trying to get the more recent version.

I wasn't aware that lxml upstream supports 3.2 though, if there's a way
to get lxml 3.2.1 rebuilt for wheezy against python3.2 then that would
be ideal.

> Now, it is true that you can't rebuild the current source package of
> lxml without source changes in wheezy. This is because it build-depends
> on python3-all-dev (>= 3.3.3), which transitively depends on python3.3
> and python3.4. Why does it need such a new version? The world wonders.
> The change was introduced in 3.3.0~beta2-1, but the changelog only says:
>
>     * New upstream version 3.3.0 beta2.

I've yet to build a package beyond the examples in the various guides or do any back port that is much beyond a trivial rebuild so if you can
provide any pointers to get me started on resolving this I'd appreciate it.

I'll contact the maintainer to see if they can shed any light on why the dependency version was increased.

> And what's up with python-pyrex? The version required by lxml's
> Build-Depends is available in wheezy... (And anyway, this
> build-dependency is likely a bug, because lxml hasn't been using Pyrex
> for years.)

Pass. I don't really have much to do with python so I've just trusted
the listed dependencies and versions in the packages are absolutely
required. If that's not the case, then perhaps a back port of lxml 3.2.1 may be possible after all.

Thanks for your help,

Gary

PS. Unintentionally sent the first reply direct to Jakub rather than the list, resending to the list