Re: apt seems not to consider bpo70 contrib packages

Hi Jerome,

Am 26.10.2013 15:49, schrieb Jerome BENOIT:

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> I may add that some words on apt_preferences(5) to manage the
>>> backports packages would be a plus.
>>
>>  It wouldn't, because backports shouldn't be managed through apt
>> preferences, at all.
>
> Why ?

Because there is no need to do so. From my experience, once a backport
is installed, you should automatically get updates installed for alle
the installed backports. No need to fiddle around with APT preferences...

>> Where did you get that idea on the referenced
>> webpage?
>
> the target short option '-t' used in the section ``Install a package from backports''.

This is how backports is intended to be used: Your package manager (APT)
should install the packages from the current stable release by default.
Backports should only get installed if you have a very good reason to do
so. As APT has no interface to your human brain to detect whether you
have a 'very good reason' yet, you need to specify your intent manually
using the '-t' option.

If you prefer all backports getting installed by default, then why don't
you just switch to use 'testing' instead of 'stable'? This also has the
benefit of not having to wait for new backports becoming available every
now and then.

Regards,
Micha