Re: apt seems not to consider bpo70 contrib packages

Hello,

On 26/10/13 16:20, Micha Lenk wrote:
> Hi Jerome,

>>>  It wouldn't, because backports shouldn't be managed through apt
>>> preferences, at all.
>>
>> Why ?
>
> Because there is no need to do so. From my experience, once a backport
> is installed, you should automatically get updates installed for alle
> the installed backports. No need to fiddle around with APT preferences...

... as explained in apt_preferences

>>> Where did you get that idea on the referenced
>>> webpage?
>>
>> the target short option '-t' used in the section ``Install a package from backports''.
>
> This is how backports is intended to be used: Your package manager (APT)
> should install the packages from the current stable release by default.
> Backports should only get installed if you have a very good reason to do
> so. As APT has no interface to your human brain to detect whether you
> have a 'very good reason' yet, you need to specify your intent manually
> using the '-t' option.

I got the point.

> If you prefer all backports getting installed by default, then why don't
> you just switch to use 'testing' instead of 'stable'? This also has the
> benefit of not having to wait for new backports becoming available every
> now and then.

Because, generally at early stage testing is merely unstable.

In fact, I wanted to install nvidia wheezy-backports material, and I was surprised that
only a part of was visible; hence my initial (naive) question.

Thanks a lot for all your clarification.
I am going to neutralise my preference set up relative wheezy-backports.

Best regards,
Jerome