Re: Advancing with the Owncloud backport — JS packages still missing (due to node.js)

Alexander Wirt dijo [Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 06:46:07AM +0200]:
> > (...)
> > So, asking again this same question I am quoting: Would you agree if,
> > instead of repackaging those three packages (plus their zillion
> > dependencies) I un-remove them from the build process? Yes, that will
> > make the Backported package deviate slightly off the version in
> > Testing, but will keep it much more contained. I understand Node.js is
> > a massive piece of code+dependencies.
> I don't think thats acceptable. We don't want packages derive that much from
> testing.

Right. I still do not feel this would be too much deviation (as the
end-result would be almost identical, with several packages less
installed albeit with the same code effectively delivered), but I'll
do my best to follow your recommendations.

> > (...Or is there somebody willing to do that dance? If so, I could put
> > the backported packages temporarily into a personal repository, and
> > wait for the JS part to be ready)
>
> let me guesss: node.js is needed for compression of javascript files anywhere
> in your dependency chain? That has been resolved with using yui-compressor on
> wheezy in the past.

I have not yet really digged into what they are doing, but it is
probable it's for this — What I can see in the three JS packages I
currently have on my test machine is that nodejs and coffeescript are
used as a sort of build system:

override_dh_auto_build:
	rm -f chosen/*.js
	cake.coffeescript build
	dh_auto_build

override_dh_auto_build:
	cp make.js make.js.bkp
	sed -i "s/@EXTENSION_VERSION@/$(UPSTREAM)/" make.js
	nodejs make generic
	mv make.js.bkp make.js
	dh_auto_build

override_dh_auto_build:
	mkdir build
	uglifyjs -o build/jquery.miniColors.min.js
	jquery.miniColors.js
	dh_auto_build

So, I can try to do this via different calls, or even to patch the
build system to make it go by hand. However, this still boils down to
effectively deviating quite far from the three original packages. If
I'm digging deep into the build bowels of libjs-jquery-minicolors,
libjs-pdf and libjs-chosen, why shouldn't I do it on owncloud itself
(and limit the amount of users affected by my changes)? Does it really
make sense to modify three packages I do not know or understand if I
can modify just one instead?